Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Congratulations, it's a blog!


I hadn’t felt the urge, until now, to keep a blog. I’ve given it some thought over the years, but I think I resisted for the same reason I tend to balk at writing memoir. My personal essays are often very personal, but the idea of crafting my memoir feels very self-involved. (N.B.: I don’t think memoirists, as a group, are self-involved, and I’ve read many memoirs that I’ve enjoyed very much. But I’m prone to find qualities unforgivable in myself that I excuse and embrace quite readily in others; it’s just part of my neurosis. What feels brave and beautiful in the hands of another feels whinging or maudlin in mine.)

Oh, who am I kidding? I can call it “personal essay” rather than “memoir” until the stars fall from the sky. It’s still self-involved. Even though I may only use anecdotes from my life as a way to make the larger point, at the end of the day, I’m still saying “I” a lot.

But back to the blog. Since I’ve graduated from the MFA program, I’ve lost my sense of direction as a writer. While I’m still excited about my thesis as work-in-progress, I haven’t exercised my writing muscles over the summer, and they’ve atrophied in the absence of a regular regimen. There are no deadlines. The job hunt has superceded the creative impulse. This is a way for me to keep my hand in, to continue to think like a writer and hold onto that role even as motherhood threatens to overwhelm it.

So is this a mommy-blog? Yes, inasmuch as the business of being a parent occupies much of my consciousness, even when I’m not actively thinking of the offspring. But I find that definition limiting (and, let’s face it, somewhat pejorative), and I’m counting on you to contribute your voices. I miss graduate school and the conversations I had there. I don’t want to pontificate. I’d like to form a community of ideas and opinions. I want to bounce ideas off of you, and I need you to bounce them back. Think of this as a handball court of the mind.

So take this opportunity to read the previous entries, introduce yourself, link to your blog if you have one, and ask questions—especially if you don’t know me well.

5 comments:

  1. I have a "Mommy" blog too, but it's private. I'll send you an email invitation to read it; I just felt kind of funny knowing my students might stumble upon all those gross-bits about pregnancy. I don't mind that it's all coming out in my thesis manuscript, but I can control it there; it's limited.

    And I have kept a regular blog for a long while: www.glossary-of-field-work.blogspot.com

    It's incredibly self indulgent, but I don't mind, because I've always loved keeping a journal, I love that one can combine these things with links and images, and my mothers (my mom, Ryan's mom) like to get updated this way. I used to write a monthly letter to friends and family--an actual letter I would put into the mailbox. And now, this. Works for me.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have lost the writing bug. It skittered off whilst I was in college battling against a poetry teacher who wanted to fail me. Now, I have always loved poetry and written poetry and I backed up every one of my claims as you do in literary criticism papers. But no, this guy was so sure that the poem was about religion and not loss of love and innocence. I had to write an additional 10 page paper and go before the board to defend myself so I could just pass the class. I transferred to another college the very next term and haven't written anything good since.
    I often think about trying to start up again, but when I sit down nothing flows. I find it easier to write up background stories for my D&D characters than finish that got-danged screenplay I started in college.
    Besides blogging (because honestly, who wants to read about my boring life?) what else have you tried to kick start your brain & attract that little bugger back?
    Personally, I think photography replaced writing for my creative outlet...but I've stalled there, too.
    I can't wait to get back to school next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think what you're doing is self-indulgent at all. You're doing the work of a writer--stumbling along to find a daily writing practice. And you write about motherhood sometimes and life and what's on your mind. That's what writers do. No to "mommy blog." You're a writer who is writing about real life. And I'm so glad you're doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kate...I don't know where I would be without my self-doubt! ;-)

    ReplyDelete